Latest Job Vacancies
For over 20 years our client has been designing intelligent building services solutions for organisations across both the public and private sector. They have successfully built a philosophy of clear honest communication, empowering engineers of all levels to have a voice and deal directly with the customer, building rapport and confidence from an early stage.
Our Client is a highly respected Yorkshire based Mechanical and Electrical Design & Build Contractor, offering full design, installation and maintenance services for fully coordinated building services projects.
Our client is one of the largest independently owned M&E Consulting Engineers in the UK, employing approximately 250 staff across 8 regional offices.
Our Client are a dedicated team of Mechanical & Electrical contracting engineers to the industrial, commercial, retail and leisure industries.
Our Client is part of market leading global energy efficiency business, dedicated to helping the public and private sector improve sustainability, reduce energy costs and minimise operational expenditure on buildings.
Through partnership and funding, they provide integrated energy solutions that allow property owners to manage the complexity of energy supply and demand, whilst maximising energy savings across the estate – a complete solution that incorporates any combination of services. With a bespoke internal consulting arm working with a wide range of current customers, this team identifies cost saving opportunities and delivers intelligent technical solutions from initial concept design to implementation and handover.
This division holds extremely close links to traditional Building Services Engineering, utilising the knowledge, strategies and expertise within the sector to front many of the mechanical and electrical (M&E) cost saving schemes. Building Services with a twist would best describe this role, encouraging Engineers to think creatively, “outside the box”, challenging the boundaries that everyday construction projects may be restricted to.
This role could be just as efficiently matched with an Electrical or Mechanical Building Services Engineer, as long as the appointed Engineer demonstrates a strong degree of commercial awareness, high levels of effective communication and a passion for engineering. This role will naturally attract “leaders” and those who appreciate genuine autonomy in their work.
The business promotes flexible working and all staff are officially home based. Regional offices based nationally allows for collaborative working and centralised meeting points, offering the opportunity to recruitment the best people regardless of their location throughout the UK.
Development Engineering Designer
- Carry out customer site visits, develop likely realistic/commercially viable concept ideas and present these to the customer to stimulate purchase appetite.
- Drive the proposal development to the customer together with Sales, from initial concept through to final contracted orders
- Act as design lead for projects from concept through to detailed design, managing third party consultants as required.
- To provide packaged initiative developments to support repeat market and sector sales
- To provide cross team training and support on new and developing technologies
- Identify feasibility criteria for projects and work with sales team to ensure that they are met by opportunities presented to the customer.
- Identify realistic and creative concept ideas when presented with initial customer information and present them in a way that is enticing for people with or without technical background.
- Ensure customer’s technical requirements, challenges and profiles are met with the proposals with acceptable levels of client change and risk.
- Draft programme from sales handover to final proposal / contract signature (in agreement with Design and Project Management).
- Continuously keep knowledge on technological developments up to date and liaise with new/innovative stakeholders in the industry.
- Ensure only potential projects that are technically and commercially promising are pursued further.
- Develop sensible (commercially, technically and from a sales-perspective) LOI proposals to the customer together with Sales as required.
- Lead the design phase to further develop/evaluate concept ideas.
- Manage external design consultants to develop detailed designs.
- Initiate/ prepare tender process (if required).
- Suggest appropriate suppliers and liaise with Project Management about their selection, involve procurement/HSSE for their onboarding as required.
- Write specifications (in conjunction with external engineering support as required) using the technical documents provided by Designers.
- Evaluate Tenders.
- Technical support in client and supplier contract negotiations.
Key Skill Requirements:
- Good overview of the project portfolio and sufficient knowledge about the applied technologies to conceive good solutions using them and explaining these to the customer.
- Ability to think fast and quickly come up with viable ideas capable of high conversion ratios.
- Responsible for developing business cases up to £20m.
- Responsible for management for all project development risk up to £10m professional indemnity levels.
- Commercial mentality with a strong feel for moving the business forward.
- Numerical and analytical skills with the ability to interpret data and information and produce it in a clear and logical format.
- Proven track record in the energy industry.
- Good oral and written communication skills, interpersonal and influencing skills with the ability to take a confident and diplomatic approach with colleagues, contractors, customers and senior managers.
- Strong networking abilities.
- Willingness to continuously improve and to learn from mistakes.
- Strong understanding of the commercial impact of activities.
- Understanding of C(DM) responsibilities.
- Good skills in specification writing/assessment and tender assessment.
- Working knowledge of standard and more advanced PC software tools (such as MS Office, MS Project, AutoCAD, modelling software, etc) and the ability and willingness to learn working with new software tools.
- Knowledge of various forms of contract that could be applicable to the variety of offered projects preferable.
- In-depth knowledge of commercial on-site generation technologies such as gas engines, steam boilers, absorption chillers, heat pumps, PV etc. preferable.
- In-depth knowledge about any other lot relevant for offered projects (construction, civil engineering, services installation, IT, etc.) preferable.
- Engineering qualification e.g. Degree/HNC or equivalent preferable but not mandatory.
- Full UK driving licence.