For the last 25 years our client has been building their business to comfortably sit alongside the elite consulting engineering business involved in the British construction industry. Employing circa 700 staff across a talented and diverse team of multidisciplinary capabilities, this forward thinking and still privately owned practice boats 20 offices across the length and breadth of the UK.
This agile and intelligent business has positioned itself at the forefront of the built and natural environment, collaborating with an enviable variety of customers to provide the very best advice and consultative services for complex projects within both the public and private sector.
The M&E Team in Leeds is looking to expand beyond the 20+ staff currently operating out of the Yorkshire region. They specialise in the delivery of building services, energy and sustainability services and deliver mechanical and electrical engineering design solutions from initial feasibility stages through detailed design and on to construction, handover and post-occupancy.
They offer a refreshing approach to M&E, getting involved early and working collaboratively with the design team, whilst highlighting options, guiding design development and using their expertise to help with critical decisions. This approach has cemented numerous relationships and seen repeat business as a reward, with the simplicity often key, backed up with the ability to deliver bespoke highly technical solutions when required.
Working across all sectors, including commercial, industrial, leisure, retail, manufacturing, logistics, heritage, and residential for end-user clients, investors, developers, architects, project managers or engineer-led project teams. This diversity of workstreams, and the fact that all of team members work across every sector, means they offer the very best career development for their Engineering Team.
An opportunity has arisen for an Associate Mechanical Engineer to join Leeds as part of a wider national MEP Division. The successful candidate will be responsible for the day to day running of the mechanical and public health disciplines, as well as being responsible for the delivery of multidiscipline projects across a number of building sectors. You will be responsible for maintaining and developing external relationships to ensure that projects are delivered to the clients, and the wider team’s satisfaction, and, to be responsible for the commercial performance of the project including negotiation additional fees, and facilitating new and continued work. Your role will also include giving presentations and persuading clients to take a responsible approach to sustainability and energy performance.
You will be leading others in the correct and efficient delivery of projects from concept to completion. As a prominent leader, you will ensure projects are delivered, whilst encouraging the appropriate quality management procedures are in place and are adhered to. As the team develops you will become responsible for more members of the MEP team. This is an opportunity to become an integral part of the national leadership team and support other offices through the nationwide MEP team. Technical mentorship and inspiration will come from being part of a company-wide network of MEP engineers.
- Working as part of the senior team to win and deliver inspiring projects.
- Be a proactive participant in the leadership of the MEP team.
- Project delivery, including overseeing input from others.
- Organising and planning of resources including external suppliers.
- Delivering projects within budget, and on time to the required standard.
- Supporting the timely invoicing and debt chasing, management of WIP and forward workload/resource planning for own projects.
- Attendance at design team, client and site meetings as required.
- Responsible for the design quality and profitable delivery of own projects.
- Demonstrate commercial thinking and client management expertise.
- Timely reporting of project/office financial information to contribute to meeting budget at the team level.
- Project set-up and briefing.
- Co-ordinating and working with others in the MEP division to maintain design quality and consistency across teams.
- Working with other divisions to integrate design and also input to deliver a multi-discipline offering.
- Support the company ethos including wellbeing, day-off for good causes and 100 Best Companies to Work For.
- Familiar with the strategic plan.
- Be fun to work with and engender a team spirit, being a supportive coach, mentor and leader of the team.
- Have experience in dealing with complex negotiations and people situations.
- Have a strong awareness of Health and Safety issues and industry practices.
- Have an established network of industry contacts.
What you need to succeed in this role:
- Relevant qualification(s) at HNC, HND, Bachelors or Masters. Be a chartered engineer.
- Proven Mechanical Associate, with a strong track record in the UK on a range of mainstream building services projects.
- Be able to demonstrate a track record of working with Premier league architectural practices.
- Experienced team manager, including recruitment, wellbeing, performance management and development.
- Ability to win work and undertake business operations including marketing, commercial and financial responsibilities.
- An articulate communicator with well-developed interpersonal skills.
- Sound knowledge of BIM processes, Revit and IES/Amtech.
- Ambitious and dynamic, you enjoy change and variety.
- Positive outlook and self-motivated.
- Someone who believes in the companies core values and wishes to contribute to success.
- Ideally a Chartered Engineer, an Incorporated Engineer, with full active membership of a relevant institution.