For the last 25 years our client has been building their business to comfortably sit alongside the elite consulting engineering business involved in the British construction industry. Employing circa 700 staff across a talented and diverse team of multidisciplinary capabilities, this forward thinking and still privately owned practice boats 20 offices across the length and breadth of the UK.
This agile and intelligent business has positioned itself at the forefront of the built and natural environment, collaborating with an enviable variety of customers to provide the very best advice and consultative services for complex projects within both the public and private sector.
The M&E Team in Leeds is looking to expand beyond the 20+ staff currently operating out of the Yorkshire region. They specialise in the delivery of building services, energy and sustainability services and deliver mechanical and electrical engineering design solutions from initial feasibility stages through detailed design and on to construction, handover and post-occupancy.
They offer a refreshing approach to M&E, getting involved early and working collaboratively with the design team, whilst highlighting options, guiding design development and using their expertise to help with critical decisions. This approach has cemented numerous relationships and seen repeat business as a reward, with the simplicity often key, backed up with the ability to deliver bespoke highly technical solutions when required.
Working across all sectors, including commercial, industrial, leisure, retail, manufacturing, logistics, heritage, and residential for end-user clients, investors, developers, architects, project managers or engineer-led project teams. This diversity of workstreams, and the fact that all of team members work across every sector, means they offer the very best career development for their Engineering Team.
An opportunity has been created for a Principal Mechanical Engineer to join the established mechanical and electrical engineering team in Leeds, as part of a successful national MEP Division.
You will be responsible for the day-to-day technical delivery of the mechanical design services for multidiscipline projects across a number of building sectors. You will also be responsible for maintaining and developing external relationships to ensure that projects are delivered to the client’s and the wider team’s satisfaction. Your role will also include giving presentations and persuading clients to take a responsible approach to sustainability and energy performance.
You will be responsible for the correct and efficient delivery of projects from concept to completion. This will include ensuring all projects are delivered to a ‘right fist time approach’ ensuring quality management procedures are in place and are adhered to. It will also include process and best practice development to ensure the company brand is reinforced through excellent and appropriate work delivery.
- Producing design deliverables, including specifications, drawings and schedules.
- Coordinating with others disciplines, working closely with the BIM and Revit team to ensure drawings and models are accurately prepared and coordinated.
- Working to agreed project programmes to ensure deadlines are met.
- Project delivery, including overseeing input from others.
- Attendance at design team, client and site meetings as required.
- Responsible for the design quality and profitable delivery of own projects.
- Demonstrate commercial thinking and client management expertise.
- Coordinating and working with others in the MEP division to maintain design quality and consistency across teams.
- Working with other divisions to integrate design and also input to deliver a multi-discipline offering.
- Support the company ethos including wellbeing, day-off for good causes and 100 Best Companies to Work For.
What you need to succeed in this role:
- Relevant qualification(s) at HNC, HND, Bachelors or Masters.
- Proven Senior Mechanical Engineer or Principal Mechanical Engineer who can lead projects, with a strong track record in the UK on a range of mainstream building services projects.
- Demonstrable experience working with architects in a design centred role.
- Be client-focused and outward-facing.
- Working knowledge of current building regulations with a strong understanding of sustainable design principles.
- Working knowledge of renewables including solar, heat pumps (air, ground & water), combined heat and power systems.
- Sound knowledge of BIM processes, Revit, IES, and other design software.
- Ambitious and dynamic, you enjoy change and variety.
- Positive outlook and self-motivated.
- An articulate communicator with well-developed interpersonal skills.
- Ideally a Chartered Engineer or working towards membership with a relevant institution.